So... I managed to score this flat 7123 hood. These are not reproduced and good examples can cost quite a bit. I got lucky and managed to buy this one for only 200 euros (about 230 US $). Of course it's not yet up to my restoration specs so I want it to become that way.
Having recently learned about a method involving lots of vinegar and a rust solvent called Rustyco I thought I'd give that a try as it's a relatively cheap method. I was yet to find out how much work it involves....
Let's start with the beginning:
Please take note of the mess I created...
I found it a lot of work (3 full days excluding prep) and although it's cleaner than before I am not convinced about the rust being gone. I could feel areas still having surface rust and being untouched by the fluids. The Brunox will still work it's magic but still...
Meanwhile I have decided that if I want this hood to be 100% rust free, I'm going to have to get it dipped (stripped of paint + de-rusted + base coat), which is what's going to happen in a few weeks. What can I say, this was a learning process.
Sunday, November 11, 2018
Sunday, October 28, 2018
Monday, October 8, 2018
Tuesday, September 18, 2018
Thursday, September 6, 2018
Wednesday, August 22, 2018
The best thing about today was the fact that I had to stop the engine, let it sit for a while and restart while it was still warm/hot. This used to be troublesome but the engine fired right up every single time. So I guess the ignition improvements I did a year ago really worked out well :-)